On Machine Learning with Self Organizing Maps

Self Organizing Map (SOM) is a form of Artificial Neural Network (ANN) belonging to a class of Machine Learning. AI Junkie has a GREAT tutorial about it. What I like about SOMs is that they belong to a class of unsupervised learning models and they hold true to the first law of geography.

"Everything is related to everything else, but near things are more related than distant things." - Tobler

I encountered them and used them over 20 years ago, and since AI/ML is the hottest topic these days, I'm reacquainting myself with them. There are plenty of SOM libraries, but I learn (or in this case re-learn) by doing.  This project is my learning journey in implementing SOMs and "Sparkyfing" them.

The following is a sample output of the obligatory RGB classifier, where a million random RGB triples are organized by a Spark based SOM into a 10x10 square lattice:

Som2

And the following is a sample solution to a TSP using SOM:

Tsp

Like usual, all the source code can be found here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to use Esri Flex API on Android and iPhone

Weighted Map Feature Clustering With Attributes

Augmented Reality, iPhone and ArcGIS Server